Water FAQs

Below is a series of frequently asked questions about our water services.

Why is my sewer bill so much higher than my water bill?

The sewer rate is set by the City of Cumberland, we bill and collect for sewer for the City of Cumberland, if you have questions as to how the sewer rate is calculated, please contact the City of Cumberland at 715-822-2752.

What does “PC” or “Power Cost Adj.” mean on our billing statement?

Power Cost Adjustment, or PCAC, is the adjustment made each month which represents what Cumberland Utility has to pay for the cost of power for that month. This cost will change from month to month.

I paid my bill on the 1st (or between the 1st & 10th) – Why does my new bill say I have a late balance?

Any payments received in our office after the last day of the month up until the time the new bill is issued, will not appear on your statement as a payment – Because a payment made after the month end due date will not show up on your current bill as paid. You may call our office to find out what you owe.

My electric bill seems quite high – Is the reading correct?

Cumberland Utility staff makes every effort to provide accurate meter readings that are then used to calculate your electric billing. Contact our office, and we will check to make sure the reading was obtained correctly and that the meter is functioning properly. (A meter will slow down, stick and eventually stop recording kilowatt usage – It is very rare and uncommon for a meter to malfunction in any other manner).

Can I make arrangements to pay my delinquent bill?

Yes, however you must come in our office at 1265 2nd Avenue and negotiate a payment plan with our office staff. The staff will take into consideration what would be a “reasonable” plan for your account.

May I change the due date of my Utility bill?

No – we have one billing cycle, all bills are due by the last day of the month.

Is my meter read every month?

Yes – meters are read each month as close to the last day of the month as possible.

How do I disconnect service?

To terminate your service you may stop at the Utility Office (1265 2nd Avenue) or you may call us at 715-822-2595 between the hours of 8 AM and 5 PM. Please provide us with the date for disconnection and your new mailing address.

How do I connect service?

To connect service with us, you must stop at our office (1265 2nd Avenue) and complete a request for service application; you must have a picture ID as well as a current mailing address.

What should I do if I am going to dig, landscape, or put in a new driveway, etc.?

You should call Digger’s Hotline at 1-800-242-8511 at least 3 working days before you dig. We will then get a notice from Digger’s Hotline to come and locate your electric lines in your yard. Digger’s Hotline will also notify other utility companies to locate the gas, water, cable, and telephone. These utility companies will not mark private lines such as propane lines, etc.